Tuesday, January 22, 2013

[MV REVIEW] JAE JOONG'S MINE: A TRANSFORMATION


I don't have any idea why I feel so obsessed with Kim Jae Joong's latest MV entitled Mine. At first, I click the play button, I feel amazed because he sings freaking rock song! Which I never imagined Jae Joong will choose this genre (and yeah, I love it). Although it sounds bit like J-rock. Probably because he is being influenced by it a lot as he worked in Japan for years. Have you watched the MV? Go check it here:

(cr uploader)

Well, anyone knows what this MV actually tells us? I knew nothing in the beginning. I just feel so amazed seeing how this MV is so well-produced. The costumes are great, perfect, the scenes too look so freaking cool, and the animals (owl, dog, raven, snake) are so magical to be put there. Wow, I just opened my mouth widely when watched this MV, even drooled on my laptop. Honestly, I really don't know why I am so obsessed right now with this MV. 

So, this morning I woke up from my bed, and couldn't shut my eyes again, I try to write this review or whatever you will call it lah. I got the meaning of this MV yesterday when I browsed about the symbolization of the animals featuring in this MV. Yeah, actually without finding the symbolization, I already can tell you (us) what the story line of this MV, or the main idea of this MV.

The main idea, the very basic seed to create this gorgeous MV is something called 'transformation'. According to Encharta dictionary, transformation is a complete change usually into something with improved appearance and useful.

The first scene appears in this MV is Jae Joong who is in a place look like a snow forest. He just randomly walks (or stands?) delivers the feeling of lost in there. Then the owl appears. Then that horned-Jae Joong-creature is being shown which until now I still don't really know what kind of 'thing' or 'creature' he represents. And, the dog appears. Then we can see the scene he is being trapped by chains on his hands and his mouth being covered. 

Those scenes above in my opinion shows us the condition of prisoner. Basically a prisoner can't go anywhere (the forest), can't see everything because the limitless ability to see (the creature with horns and an eye), and can't talk (the creature being trapped with the mouth is covered). So, we gonna say the Jae Joong in this MV is a creature trapped in a place by something (or someone? you know what I mean if you know his history). 

But, the next scene is he can free himself (pulls the chain and opens the mouth cover). Along with the appearance of the owl (again) which flies eagerly, the Jae Joong creature runs to the freedom he misses a lot. And the ravens appear which he needs to fight against them. This scene is probably the most beautiful scene from this three minutes MV (for me) because I can feel the feeling how he is crazily wanting to be (a) free (creature). 

Then the nice and slow piano sounds can be heard with the fabulous fingers of Jae Joong and slightly moves to his face -the transformation face of him- the hair changes, the face changes, and he even has the tusks/fangs, either they are dog's or snake's. Because in these scenes the snake appeared with the glowing skull. More than that, he also has transformed into 'creature' with the eyes of raven, and wings, either owl's or raven's which mean he also has gained powers from them.

He has completely transformed into something else (or another creature) which is so different with his previous look that he doesn't have the fangs, the colored hair, the raven's eyes, or the wings. After the freedom he has set, he has fully become the 'creature' he wants most in his life. 

Do you get the story line which I had elaborated? So put it simple, there are three phases of this Jae Joong creature life: a prisoner, a single fighter of freedom, and a transformer. He runs forward to the better changes (freedom). It does not only influence he himself but also his surrounding coz he has gained the power to change his world, and others. 

But, to get more understanding why there are some animals (and skull) appear in this MV which makes it get more mysterious and dark at the same time, I will reveal their symbolization. Here:
  • owl : keeper spirits
  • dog : protection, guard-ship, loyalty
  • raven : warriors on battle ground
  • snake : transformation, rebirth
  • skull : impermanence, transition, freedom
If these animals symbolization you put together in to the scenes, don't you think they match so well? Uhm, yeah, let's you find out yourself!

Please do not take without credit. Or, take include inspired by biseteu-family.blogspot.com. Thanks.

Cheers.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment